Warped Tour Survival Guide
First thing's first; get your ticket! If you haven't already, you can buy a ticket at the box office the day of the festival. It's highly doubtful that Warped will sell out, but it is possible. Try to get there early to avoid a long line and get your ticket before anything can go wrong. If you already bought your tickets in advance, do not forget to bring it. You will either have to go all the way home to get it or you'll have to buy a new one. You won't be let in without a ticket!
There are ways to jump the line. If you give blood or donate some canned food, you are entitled to a Jump the Line Pass and possibly a VIP wristband. Although VIP sounds like a dream, there are normally a lot of restrictions. If you are given any sort of VIP wristband or pass, don’t expect to hang out backstage and meet all the bands and get treated like a rock star. Just chill out and be thankful that you get some more perks than the other concert-goers!
Now that you’re in the venue, take a look at the big inflatable by the main stage. This is where you will find set times for all the bands playing on every stage. It’s very useful to write your favorite band’s set time somewhere or make a note of it in your cell phone. Sadly, times are subject to change and it could throw off your whole schedule, so keep checking the inflatable to stay up-to-date.
Once you’re watching a band play their set, there’s always one question that you must ask yourself—“Where should I be standing?” Well, this depends on what kind of person you are. If you enjoy chilling out and watching bands play their music, stick to the back of the crowd and enjoy the performance. If you enjoy getting wrecked and jumping around to the music, you better get yourself in the midst of that wild crowd! Make sure you can handle the heat during sets or else you can get overwhelmed or over-heated.
Speaking of heat, you must remind yourself to DRINK WATER. Drink lots and lots of water. I know it sounds lame when I say it, but your body will be very grateful. Water bottles are less expensive at every venue this year and each tour stop provides a Kleen Kanteen booth where you can fill up your water bottles or travel cups for free. I was the only person out of all my friends to bring my own travel cup to the festival and many people were begging me for a sip of water! Drinking plenty of water will save you from dehydration and over-heating, so do it!
• According to the official Vans Warped Tour website, you may bring the following items to the festival: Small, lightweight backpack, sunscreen, a small, homemade snack, one sealed bottle of water, camera- disposable or small digital, sharpie for autographs and writing set times, fully charged cell phone, comfortable sneakers, hat.
• According to the official Vans Warped Tour website, you may not bring the following items to the festival: Chains (ex: wallet chain), professional camera, alcohol, recording devices, firearms, weapons, knives etc., any illegal substances.
• What you wear is one of the keys to your day. Make sure to wear something lightweight, comfortable, and well-fitting. Try wearing a light t-shirt, denim shorts, sneakers, or a tank top. Avoid wearing flip flops, jackets, heavy clothing, makeup, and uncomfortable clothes.
• Make sure that you have a meeting spot with your group of friends in case you guys get separated. Yeah, yeah, it sounds like I’m babying you but it may come in handy if an emergency happens to occur.
• Bring some sunscreen. Getting sunburned is totally not cool.
• Before the day of the festival, make a list of the bands you would like to see from a scale of greatest to least. That way, you will get to the venue and decide which band to watch if any two of your favorite bands are playing at the same time.
• Respect others and help anyone in need. If you see someone hurt or on the ground, help them up and see if they need any medical attention. Locate the nearest medical tent before you run off to watch some sets.
This guide will help you survive (and enjoy) your amazing day at Warped Tour whether or not it is your first time attending the festival. It is an exciting experience every single year and the memories are unforgettable. Have fun, stay safe, and plan for a great day filled with music!
Written by Jordan Mafi